You got engaged!? How exciting! Perhaps it happened on Christmas morning, in front of your entire family. Or maybe he surprised you under fireworks on New Year’s Eve. Or maybe Valentine’s Day in a few weeks is the special day? That means a wedding is happening, either soon or far. And these twelve steps are the key to your success for a wedding that is perfectly you!
1. Set your budget – Decide whether you are a “strict budget” type of bride, or if you prefer to say yes or no as the decisions present themselves. Either way, it is nice to have a rough idea what you cannot afford before you start work.
2. Hire a professional wedding planner – Do you want everything on your wedding day to go smoothly, perfectly and exactly as you envisioned with minimal stress? This is when you hire a professional wedding planner.
3. Choose possible dates or months for the wedding – Would you like a spring wedding? Or maybe getting married in the snow in December is your dream? This is a decision that needs to be made before you can move forward with planning a Colorado wedding.
4. Create a guest list – Is your wedding going to have 300 guests and fill a large ballroom, or will it be a charming 40 person intimate gathering? If you are working with a strict budget, guest count can really affect how much your costs are overall.
5. Tour venues – At this point you are able to make decisions using your basic and crucial information – budget, date and guest count. Find a venue that is within your budget, has excellent staff, and can meet your criteria. Tour venues that your wedding planner recommends, or a venue that you have always had your eye on.
6. Wedding Style – You have probably been thinking of your wedding’s style, consciously or not, for months or maybe even years. Brainstorm with your wedding planner to think of special details that truly fit your personal style.
7. The Dress – It takes up to 8 months for a beautiful custom gown to be made, and at least 3 months on average for many local gown shops to get a beautiful dress in your hands. And don’t forget to consider the time needed for alterations.
8. Research – You can do research at any point in the planning process, but we wanted to make it a point to how important this step is. An amazing wedding day often comes down to the professionalism and experience you get from the perfect vendor team. If you are working with a wedding planner, listen to her advice regarding vendors – she has had years of working with local vendors and has knowledge of the entire wedding industry in location where you are getting married.
9. Inquire and Meet with Vendors – Once you have thoroughly researched your vendors, select a few in each vendor category who you would like to meet with. We recommend definitely meeting your photographer in-person if possible. Feeling comfortable with the photography team is important since they will be with you the entire wedding day. Once you narrow down caterers, it is a good idea to set up tastings with your potential caterer or with the kitchen at your chosen venue.
10. Create an Inspiration Board – Posting boards and pins to Pinterest, selecting favorites on Etsy and googling images of designs you like are the perfect way to get started on your master wedding inspiration board and get your ideas organized. Also, your wedding planner is immersed in “everything wedding” so listen to her ideas and ask what is new, unique or tried-and-true.
11. Hire your Vendors – When you are ready and feel decisive, book those vendors! Some vendors only take one wedding per day and only have a few dates available. Once you know, they should too!
12. The Final Walk Through – This step is crucial to bringing it all together. Whether you set up the final walk-through on your own or your wedding planner attends this with you, this helps bring all of the key vendors together before the big day. Every detail is covered and this is basically a rehearsal for the wedding reception for the vendors, venue and for you.