How to Get Married in Colorado…the legal way

marriage+cert How to Get Married in Colorado...the legal way
Aside from the fabulous flowers, great food and other wedding details, we don’t want to forget one of the most important aspects of the wedding, the marriage license.

A marriage license may be issued in any county and used in any county in the State of Colorado. However, the license must be used within 30 days from the date of issue. The license is issued the day it is applied for and may be used immediately.  The fee for a marriage license is $10 and must be paid with cash.

Both male and female applicants must appear in person to complete and sign the marriage application. If one party cannot appear due to illness, is out of state, or incarcerated, he or she must obtain an ABSENTEE APPLICATION from the Clerk and Recorder’s office. The party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. Applicants need not be residents of Colorado. ABSENTEE APPLICATIONS MUST BE NOTARIZED.

If either party has finalized a divorce within 30 days of applying for the marriage license, the final decree must be produced. This decree must be signed by the judge or court referee. If the divorce has been final more than 30 days, divorce information must be given regarding date of divorce, place of divorce and court in which the divorce was finalized.

A marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court of record, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe. As of August 1993, a couple can solemnize their own marriage without any type of officiant.  That’s right, you can perform your own ceremony without an officiant in Colorado and it is legal.

Debbie Orwat, Colorado Wedding Planner
Save the Date Events